Data Collection & Analysis Assistant
STRAFFORD REGIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION, ROCHESTER, NH
Description of Position
Strafford Regional Planning Commission seeks a temporary full-time Data Collection & Analysis Assistant to support transportation planning activities. This is an eight month temporary position. The expected start date is March 2017. This position provides an opportunity to work with a collaborative team focused on using technology and data to inform regional and statewide decision-makers. The successful candidate will assist staff and collaborators through data collection, report writing, and map creation services.
Overall, Commission employees are hardworking, motivated individuals dedicated to providing the highest quality of public service in a friendly, progressive environment. The right individual will have a positive attitude about working for the Commission and representing the Strafford region of coastal New Hampshire.
Required Education & Experience
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree. Candidates with experience and certification in fields including transportation data management, GIS, environmental science, planning or other related fields are encouraged to apply, particularly those with fieldwork experience.
This position will be primarily tasked with collecting transportation- and traffic-related data in the field and assisting with management of our transportation data collection program. This may include equipment maintenance, inventory management, and assistance with supply orders. Other responsibilities may include updating standardized GIS data; data Quality Assurance/Quality Control; technical assistance via writing of reports, protocols, and other documentation; improving other regional transportation planning documents; and maintaining data collection records in both digital and hard copy forms.
Additional responsibilities may include assisting with the creation of planning documents and assisting with various GIS analyses.
- Assist the Transportation Planning Assistant with:
- collecting traffic field data throughout the region, including traffic counts and infrastructure inventories
- transportation planning and forecasting
- equipment inventories and maintenance
- Assist the Regional Transportation Planner with updating and improving guiding transportation planning documents
- Assist the GIS Planner with maintaining transportation GIS data
- Work with other staff members to improve office inventory management system
- Other tasks as assigned
- Experience with writing comprehensive documents
- Experience with basic document layout design principles
- Working knowledge of geographic information systems and map creation /cartography
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications
- Ability to meet variable deadlines and handle reprioritized tasks on occasionally short notice
- Team orientation and personal accountability
- Experience with field data collection, especially collection of transportation data such as traffic counts, bicycle/pedestrian traffic counts, and culvert assessments.
- Experience using ESRI GIS software in a Windows environment
- Experience with Arc Collector or other tablet based field data collection programs
- Experience with GPS technology
A valid driver’s license is required and reliable transportation is strongly preferred; this position will include significant travel for fieldwork and may involve travel for daytime and evening meetings. Data collection work involves working outside, often in variable weather conditions, and requires the ability to lift at least 30 pounds. Pay is commensurate with experience. For more information about the Commission, see www.strafford.org.
Please reply with a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Send materials to Cynthia Copeland, AICP, Executive Director, by mail to the address below or by email to email@example.com using the subject line “Data Collection & Analysis Assistant.” Position is open until filled.
Cynthia Copeland, AICP
Strafford Regional Planning Commission
150 Wakefield Street, Suite 12
Rochester, NH 03867
- Strafford Regional Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity/affirmation Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, and nation of origin. The Commission encourages minorities, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged applicants to apply.